If you’re in the process of preparing your home for a move, think about small changes that will really make your home pop. What can you do to make your house stand out to potential buyers who have already seen so many others?
It’s the little things that buyers remember about homes they tour. What kinds of small touches can you add to your house that makes it seem more custom?
- Lighting. Shadowy homes are off-putting and somber, and people love a well-lit house. Invest in some custom light fixtures to make rooms stand out to buyers, and swap out soft white bulbs for more energy-efficient LEDs.
- Storage. Plenty of storage is always a good selling point. Add custom cabinets and shelves to areas like insides of closets, the laundry room and under the stairs.
In the weeks leading up to your home going on the market, make sure that you have had all the right safety inspections and made appropriate updates.
- Have your furnace/HVAC system, your water heater and your electrical panel serviced. Make sure the contractors put stickers on the units identifying the date of service.
- Keep up on yard work and keeping your exterior clean. Curb appeal can make a huge impact.
Clean and Welcoming
Make buyers feel right at home from the moment they enter your house by showing a clean, inviting space.
- Consider hiring a cleaning service to come to your home the day before an open house. These services are very thorough and are money well-spent. Remember to put away any personal items and leave counters clutter-free.
- Offer your coffee maker to people touring your home, and buy some cookies for them too. Small touches do matter!
Preparing your home to sell can be a challenge. Making it stand out on the market can seem impossible, but small changes can help.