If you have a well, an annual well inspection should be part of your maintenance to-do list. Even if your water tastes good, lead and other contaminants can seep into the water supply and lead to health problems. A well inspection is a small price to pay to ensure the safety of your drinking water.
What Does a Well Inspection Include?
Conducted by a licensed and/or certified well water contractor, your annual well inspection should include several components:
- A flow test to measure water output and level, pump performance, tank pressure and switch contact pressure,
- An inspection of equipment to ensure that it meets local codes and appears to be safe,
- A test of water for coliform bacteria and nitrates,
- Tests for any minerals known to affect water conditions in the area, such as sulfides, manganese or iron,
- Periodic tests for pH levels or total dissolved solids,
- Additional tests if